Tuesday 5 September 2017

M5 Chapter 7 - Tactile Contrasts

When starting this chapter I remembered a frame/texture piece of work I had started on a Lynda Monk workshop. This was a wooden frame covered with a piece of blanket and heavy cotton duck, painted with gesso. I had attached a couple of samples during the workshop and then not returned to it. I thought this would be a good base for my tactile contrasts.

 
7.1

7.2

For the exercise, I first cut 16 x 2 1/2 inch squares and then worked a texture in fabric on each square, all attached with hand stitch.

7.3
 
Row 1 (left to right):
Quilters cotton pleated and folded; scrunched net; cotton and silk torn and knotted; layers of batting covered with pleated cotton organdie.
Row 2 (left to right):
Small buttons gathered under sheer fabric; pipe cleaner trapped in cotton and twisted; quilters cotton and batting; fabric rolled and tied.
Row 3 (left to right):
Torn cotton strips scrunched; silk strips rolled and twisted; machine stitched cord twisted and piled; gathered muslin.
Row 4 (left to right):
Man made lace from curtains torn and scrunched; pleated cotton organdie; pebbles caught in muslin; woven and folded strips of muslin.


7.4
This exercise produced some exciting textures from fabric. By closing your eyes and feeling the fabrics you gain a better understanding and 'sense' of the textures and their similarities and differences.

7.5

7.6

7.7

I decided not to attach the samples at the moment because it occurred to me the frame could make a good background for my resolved sample. If I do decide to use it I will attach my samples to a calico backing. Although its quite nice to swap them around to compare and contrast them in different formations.

No comments:

Post a Comment