Thursday 7 September 2017

M5 Chapter 10 - Stitch to Translate

This was another enjoyable chapter. It required some thinking about before putting needle to fabric. I found my samples grew and I became more involved in them - I kept building stitches on stitches! I used one of my frames from chapter8.

Sample 1:
For the first sample I decided to make the rubbing onto the fabric and the neo colour crayon worked very well. I liked the grid like structure of the paper rubbing and used straight stitch to represent this.


10.1

10.2

I used mainly various ribbons for the verticals and then coton perle for the horizontals. The ribbons were quite prominent so I added more straight stitches with machine cotton. I liked the effect of the rubbing behind the stitch.

10.3

Sample 2:
For the second sample I used mainly fly stitch, with some straight stitch. I used a variety of thread of different weights and thicknesses.

10.4

10.5

I like the geometric shapes which formed and the negative shapes. The rubbing looked like a folded and flattened ribbon and I wanted to represent the image without using an actual ribbon.


Sample 3:
For this sample the rubbing reminded me of ropes. I used couching and chain stitch to form raised ridges from stitch.

10.6

10.7
 
I chose rope and string to be couched down. Before I added the top layer of thicker rope I decided to add some lighter background stitching. I used long overlapping chain stitches, before adding the top layer of rope. I wanted to highlight some of the ridges to represent the highlights on the rubbings. I used coton perle and although it did catch the light I could use a metallic thread for a better effect. This is quite a 'heavy' sample and very raised. I could use lighter threads to couch.

10.8

Sample 4:
For the final sample I used mainly sorbello stitch with some straight stitch. I felt this would represent the small star shapes that appeared on the paper rubbing. I started using a variety of threads. It needed some more texture so I added some stitching using ribbon.

10.9

10.10

The rubbing appeared to run mostly horizontally and I tried to follow the flow of the rubbing throughout the sample. I could have used a metallic thread to highlight some areas.

10.11

I did not make a background rubbing on three of the samples because I wanted to see how the effect of the stitch and thread clearly. I felt quite connected with the samples and stitching and they became more considered. I particularly liked using the string and rope. Using white thread on a white background would produce a more subtle effect but it is useful observing the effects on the black background.

1 comment:

  1. All so exciting Lisa. I'm really looking forward to getting this far. A wonderful module!

    ReplyDelete