Saturday 5 August 2017

M4 - Chapter 5 Drawn Thread Work

First Exercise

I had some samples from my original colour choices. I decided to bleach the dye out and re-dye with onion skins.

5.1 I used soft linen scrim and this was very fine, making it difficult to withdraw threads. These first samples became more disintegrated following bleaching and re-dyeing but I felt they were worth rectifying.
 
 

Second Exercise



5.2 For these samples I used Cotton Rossglen Loomstate which I found easier to work with.
 The fabric was dyed with woad and then steamed with rust and leaves. There was little colour difference so I then painted some of the fabric with ink. the top sample is much stronger than the bottom sample.
 
5.3 I could have left a wider border to withdraw threads from as this would have given me longer threads to weave back into the samples or knot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment