Thursday 7 April 2016

M3 Chapter 9 - A Resolved Sample

When I started to think about my resolved sample I decided I wanted to do something a bit more delicate than I usually do and something rectangular rather than square.
  
I began by looking at some of my source images and drawings etc. with a 'window'.
 
 



 

 
 
I had lots of options to choose from but decided on the last one (above) to develop further. I enjoyed cutting and rotating to produce further designs from Module 1 and decided on this route. I used the cropped image to redraw and form a design, using coloured papers.
 
 
I then cut the design vertically into three strips and turned them, which gave me a new take on a 'Hunderwasser' spiral.
 

 

I then looked at how I could turn my design into a stitched resolved sample.

I looked previous modules and samples. I wanted to try to get good tone and a feeling of movement, alongside a lighter, more delicate feel.

 

I had to concentrate on not using every technique I have ever learnt! and concentrate on what would suit the resolved sample and what I wanted to achieve. I tried to think of the design in layers and concentrated on the base layer first.
 
I made some samples of different techniques that I thought I might use:
 
 

 
I liked the fabrics made with soluble film and made a second sample, also thinking about cords and beads for further layers.
 

 
Having decided on this for my first layer I snipped pieces of coloured habotai silk, scrim and chiffon.
 
 
I made a 'sandwich' of aquabond, snipped fabrics and dissolvable film. The aquabond worked very well and I did not need to pin too much.


 
I free machine stitched the layers together using variegated thread. I stitched in spiral shapes and added more stitching than in my samples, which made the fabric a little heavier, but I was concerned that it would fall apart!

 
I then moved onto making my second layer. I wanted to keep the edges irregular so I decided to draw a rough outline from my design to get a placement guides for the snippets. I did not have anymore aquabond so I used solufleece. Unfortunately I had probably worked back to front, as this piece was more delicate and it would have been easier to use aquabond; the solufleece would be better for more random work. However with lots of pinning and patience I completed the second layer ready to applique into place.
 
 
I then used hand stitch to applique, using straight stitches and a variety of threads. I had added some metallic thread to the first layer and on reflection I could have added more. I then added some small glass rocaille beads and stitched cords.
 


 

I was fairly pleased with the results so far but felt the sample need more movement and looked a little flat. So in the final layer I played around with some cords and wrapped buttons I had made in previous chapters, and then I added some more rocaille, seed and bicone beads, and added made myself to the ends of the cords.

 

 
The top plaited cord was easily twisted into a spiral shape and added texture, and the 'ends' were ideal for adding beads. The twisted 3D cord worked well as the cord had a wire core. This gave some depth and I added some beads for more interest.


 
 The wrapped buttons added another dimension and different points of interest.





Overall I am pleased with my resolved sample. I felt I achieved a 'lighter' piece of work and it has balance and proportion with different points of interest. I still feel I struggle with tone and I seem to manage to tone everything together so the work becomes flat. I liked the contrasting colours but maybe could have added another to improve; some of the buttons and beads have a dark antique gold tone which I could have enhanced more. Also, I think I could have achieved more movement, maybe a larger spiral shape radiating outwards. I particularly enjoyed working with the soluble film and will experiment further with this.

1 comment:

  1. You have documented a very interesting design process with an admirable result of a fantastic contemporary embroidery. I'm really excited.

    ReplyDelete