Saturday 9 April 2016

Interior Landscapes with Sarah Burgess

I spent a lovely two day with a small group and Sarah Burgess at Art Van Go recently. We got to see some of Sarah's beautiful work and because the group was small lots of one-to-one help and advice. Sarah demonstrated several techniques, including mono printing on papers and fabrics, and then how to compose sample pieces by tearing and adding inserts. I love mono printing and so thourghly enjoyed myself.

As always with printing you can produce a huge array of papers. I had several holidays to family in Menorca in mind as my 'landscape', and in particular the rocky coastlines and caves.

 
The next two pieces I had a specific place in mind with caves and fabulous views. I inserted fabrics and collaged some of my papers. I need to add some stitch and do a little more work on these. I'd like to work something similar to these on a larger scale.


 
I played about with some long strips of creased and folded printed cotton organdie, which I stitched onto when I got home, and also experimented with collaging some of my papers and adding stitch to paper.


 
I stitched my papers straight onto khadi paper and used a large needle on my machine.

 

 
There was an added bonus that there was an exhibition of Maggie Grey's work, which is fabulous and really told her journey through stitch. I am so glad I went to this workshop, lots of inspiration and encouragement from Sarah, and I am pleased with my samples. A nice welcome from Viv at Art Van Go of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment